Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Daredevil Acts, Errands and Chicken Soup

Oh boy...where do I start!? I had an incredible 'bad mommy' moment last night. Now, please don't pass judgement. I am no Pauliana nor do I live in a bubble...accidents are bound to happen and quite often do. Especially when you have a VERY curious and VERY mobile 8 month old who is fascinated with danger. Madison is forever crawling, inching, wriggling out of our arms to go 'investigate' edges of chairs,beds,whatever. And she's so quick now! She can crawl across a room in the blink of an eye.

Last night, as we always do on most nights, we got into bed to watch a 9 o'clock show and play a little (yes, I let her play in bed) and as I was just getting settled in...PLOP! She had crawled to the foot of the bed and as I reached for her leg (it was like slow motion in a movie!) she went right over the edge!! I tried not to overreact and scare her any further by hollering out. I scooped her up in my arms, sushing her soothingly, checked for bumps and blood(aye yi yi) and kissed her until her crying subsided. It was more of a scared cry than a hurt cry...I could tell this right away. My husband was in another room and rushed in, having heard the thud. I felt horrrrrible!

Accidents will happen and I have moved on from the guilt, but am more aware and prepared for future incidents. I think the fall may have jostled her a bit because she nursed almost exclusively the entire night. Do you think the fall detered her from trying again Nope. This morning she woke and quickly crawled to the foot of the bed again. I said no and explained that what happened last night would happen again and asked her if she would like to fall. I'd like to believe she understood because she turned around and crawled into my lap.

Daredevil acts aside, today found us running several of our weekly errands and a few extra. I am looking to redo our bedroom decor as well as replace our living room throw pillows with new updated colors and patterns, so a trip to our Bed, Bath & Beyond was in order. Just so happens they are having a great sale on bedding and bath towels. I got some great ideas and saw some duvet covers and sheet sets I think could work. I might have to go back another day and take advantage of the sale and upgrade our bath towels as well. I scoped out the nifty kitchen gadgets a plenty, but left with only a new bathroom scale. Madi took apart and 'broke' our other one.I could spend HOURS in home decor stores. Which reminds me, I do need to make a trip to my other fave palce, Williams-Sanoma soon. I have a $100 gift card that I received at Christmas time that is burning a nice hole in my pocket!

Madison went down for a nap around 1:00 pm and after an hour of holding her was convinced she was deep enough asleep that I could set her down for the remainder of her nap. 15 minutes she awoke crying and hopelessly searching the room for me. She is sooo rotten, I know this!! After giving Madison sufficient time to fully wake up, I moved her to her highchair in the kitchen to watch me start preping everything for my chicken soup that will be tonight's dinner. This is another one of those 'by heart' recipes that I could make blind folded. I have taken my Gradmother's recipe for this soup and tweaked it over the years to make my own. I usually make it a bit different each time. Tonight I am adding some diced potatoes and using chicken tenders instead of a whole fresh bird. I'm also using a canned chicken stock. Normally I start this early in the morning and boil a whole bird with onions and herbs, cool and shred, creating my fresh stock. But today, since I'm starting the soup so late in the day, I will improvize and go semi-homemade with it.

After getting the soup started I prepared myself lunch, turkey sandwich...gourmet. And after I ate, Madi enjoyed half a jar of organic carrots, which she rather enjoyed smiling and making yummy noises. Then a nice poop and anther round of nursing and napping.

Oma's Chicken Soup - Quick Version #1

4-5 Organic Free-Range Chicken Breasts, Fatty trimmed
1 Lg. Sprig Rosemary
Salt & Pepper, to taste
1-2 scant shakes of poultry seasoning
Water, enough to cover chicken completely (2-3 Cups)
1 32 oz. pkg. organic, less sodium chicken stock/broth
2-3 shakes itain herb seasoning mix, like Mrs. Dash
4-5 grinds sea salt/garlic blend
Carrots,mushrooms,diced onions,diced celery,diced potatoes (about 1-1.5 cups each)

*boil chicken breasts in salted water with poultry seasoning and rosemary sprig about 30-45 minutes or until done. Set aside to cool. Set a colander over a wide rim bowl and pour water that chicken was cooking in,catching rosemary and any chicken fat. Pur stock back into saucepan and lower stovetop to simmer.
*Stir in pkg. prepared stock/broth. Add in all vegetables except potatoes (add these in last hour)taste and adjust seasonings.
*when cool, shred chicken with two forks and add into simmering soup mixture and simmer until vegetables are fork tender. Add potatoes 1 hour before enjoying.

That's it! I serve with a nice simple green salad and a crescent roll or croissant warmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment